List:       gphoto-devel
Subject:    [gphoto-devel] Revisiting the AGFA Smile
From:       Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym () canada ! com>
Date:       2000-08-31 0:18:56

Well, the AGFA Smile software has decided to stop talking to my camera
and AGFA tech support only answers my emails with insults and
ignorance, so that leaves me with reverse-engineering some photopc
support or just junking it until I get an NTSC card for my PC.  I've
taken the first option.

Does any of this ring a bell? ...

While trying to debug the AGFA software, I did a serial line
capture. I noticed the software sends the string "UUA" over and over,
so I set my serial baud rate to 9600 and used cat > /dev/ttyS1
manually from within an xterm, capturing the output with
cat < /dev/ttyS1 > output.bin

I sent the string UUAUUA and now I think I am currently downloading
all my images!  The images saved by the AGFA software are in JPEG
format but despite their small resolution, these files are relatively
large (for 320x160 JPEGs), averaging about 80k each. There are 14
images in the camera right now, and the dump returned by UUAUUA is
just over 1.4 megs which seems suspiciously co-incidental :)

So my question is: Does this handshake sound familiar to anyone?  Any
tips on where to begin adapting gphoto/photopc to decode this?