List:       gphoto-devel
Subject:    [gphoto-devel] BUG report gphoto-0.4.3 crashes on Debian/Potato
From:       tho () nextlayer ! com
Date:       2000-08-29 2:44:52

First, thank you for the pretty and easy to use gphoto application, which
I use to download all my pictures from my camera, since the tool, the
manufactor delivered doesn't work reliable enough - beside of the fact,
that I can't use it in Linux.

This is the output I got:
--8<--
Premature end of JPEG file
JPEG datastream contains no image
/usr/bin/X11/convert: No such file or directory
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image: /tmp/gphoto_image_11.jpg
All fallbacks failed.
gPhoto 0.4.3 (built May  7 2000) process 18921 has crashed
due to fatal errors.  Please send us a bug report!
See $INSTALLPREFIX/doc/gphoto-0.4.3/BUGS or
http://gphoto.org/gphoto/bugs.html for details.
-->8--

well, there is no BUGS file in the source directory also
 http://bugs.gnome.org/db/pa/lgphoto.html appears to be a dead link.

What's about a 0.4.4 'bug-fix' release, before a 0.5 version? gphoto
crashes unfortunately rather often for me. I noticed, that it doesn't
go well with NFS directories (FreeBSD NFS server). Also it crashed, when
I was running out of virtual memory (well, I can't blame it for that).
More troublesome is, that the download from the camera is quite time-
critical. Even on my reasonable fast (I mean, we speak of download over
a 115kbps serial line - pah!) Intel Celeron 500MHz desktop, the download
fails, if I switch to a different application. I'd like to suggest to
seperate the download from the GUI and make the former suid root (after
a security audit) and take advantage of Linux' (so called) real time
(prioritized) processes.
I don't know, why it crashed this time, so I send you the output.

I'm using a Olympus 2020Z, if this matters.

Thanks for taking your time (reading this, thinking about it and working
on the code)
Guenther