List:       gphoto-devel
Subject:    Re: [gphoto-devel] Re: Introduction and Comments
From:       "David Brownell" <david-b () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2000-08-24 18:25:09

> Richard Stallman wrote:
> >
> > Only free software gives the users freedom of choice.  With
> > proprietary software, the owner dominates the users.  This is why
> > software should be free, and why it is important to defend our
> > community's freedom using copyleft and other legitimate ethical means.
>
> my only issue with this statement is the use of the word "ethical". it
> just seems contradictory to call it ethical when we would effectively be
> *forcing* other people to do something they wouldn't normally do.

What force?  Using GPL is voluntary, as is using GPL'd software
(and hence agreeing to the GPL terms).

>      IMO,
> ethical would be more along the lines of not imposing your ideals onto
> other people and to also not attack other ways of doing things.

What's being imposed?  gPhoto associated with FSF and its goals
for Intellectual Property ages ago; hence the "g" (GNU).

Consider three models of social adoption of technology (in some
sort of N-space of such models):

    - At an extreme, the DMCA/RIAA/MPAA/... model where users
      don't have "fair use" or any of the other freedoms
      that hundreds of years of common law guaranteed them.
      The user options are:  pay up, and shut up.

    - At an intermediate level, some technologies have such
      "fair use", and others don't.  Consumers may or may
      not have effective choices ... the MP3 battles show
      the lengths to which some organizations go to oppose
      certain fundamental consumer rights (choice) and goals
      (such as having music be as free in 2000 as in 1900).

    - At another extreme, an all-GNU world would ensure
      consumers have effective choices in the market,
      and corporations trying to keep IP out of the public
      domain see a (somewhat :-) organized counterforce.

I persist in seeing this specific licensing issue in terms
of whether FSF should use gPhoto to push such intermediate
scenarios.  And I'll say that I'm so far unpersuaded; lots
of other organizations push such models, FSF needn't diminish
the GNU "brand" by pushing them.

- Dave