List:       gphoto-devel
Subject:    [gphoto-devel] Re: gPhoto2 licensing clarification (was Re: Introduction and Comments)
From:       Scott <scottf () gphoto ! net>
Date:       2000-08-22 16:25:59

David Brownell wrote:

> I'd expect that if you don't know _today_ that it's network-transparent,
> then it isn't ... designs focussed on library-style linkage accumulate
> all sorts of assumptions about shared state and concurrency, even with
> the best of intentions.  Those assumptions are good to get rid of (or at
> least identify and document) even in library-style designs.
> That said, I'm unlikely to have time to investigate this new library for
> a while yet.

If you can find time, it'd be greatly appreciated. :)

The design itself hopefully removes all states between calls to the
library. Each function depends solely on itself. There is support
individual transfer sessions going into the core this week (for asynch
cameras or for multi-threaded front-ends). Then again, I'm not sure what
assumptions we may have made. :P

> > Well, the front-end is already decoupled.
> So it's a major redefinition, and anyone downloading "gPhoto" would
> no longer be getting a user interface integrated with camera support.
> This is confusing.  Have you thought about using a different name for
> this "core" then, and letting "gPhoto" continue to be used to identify
> a user interface bundled with a usefully large set of camera interface
> code?

They will be getting the core and the camera libraries, as well as the
command-line interface in the "gPhoto2 package". They can then download
different front-ends that are named whatever they are named :) The
gPhoto name should be more synonymous with the core/libraries than with
the frontends since the number of frontends is going to increase and
will be called different things.

> Users Would Be Surprised to see a rev 2 delete essential features.

The features will not be removed. They will be made available in the
different frontends. Some frontends may implement that others don't and
that creates an environment of creativity and progress.

We will have to make clear what gPhoto2 is and how it has changed when
we do a release. We just haven't gotten to that point yet. No sense in
confusing users yet until they can download/install/run the actual
software in a releasable state.

> Heck, the gPhoto roadmap on the website doesn't even mention anything
> after 1.0, and it says the current development target is 0.6 ... no
> wonder I'm scratching my head !!

It isn't clear on the page right now. gPhoto2 has not reached alpha yet.
At that time, we will be able to put together more information on the
entire architecture and how to use it :)