List:       gphoto-devel
Subject:    [gphoto-devel] Re: gPhoto2 licensing clarification (was Re: Introduction and Comments)
From:       David Brownell <david-b () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2000-08-20 11:51:11

> From: Scott <scottf@gphoto.net>
>
> David Brownell wrote:
> > I've not seen the gphoto2 stuff yet; are these APIs done in
> > network-transparent ways?  I know that corba handles most of
> > the functionality you'd described as "core" (except defining
> > camera-specific apis and policies), and that such protocol
> > level interop is a common way to let software with all sorts
> > of crazy constraints (licensing, platforms, etc) interoperate.
>
> the core also provides other misc functions as well. the best way to do
> it would be to put a CORBA layer on top of the core and just let the
> core do what it's good at. This would also make the CORBA layer easier
> to design and implement.

The point would be (for me) to make it easier for implementations to talk
to each other regardless of who implemented them, how, licensing strings,
and
so forth ... not to complicate things by adding a second integration
framework.
It sound like you think you're past the point where you could easily adopt
alternative approaches, though.

Tradeoffs for folk who can't/won't use copylefted code would be simplified:
since significant chunks of the core (CORBA) would be widely available even
with proprietary licenses, or are "pure documentation" (better interface
specs, in IDL; and naming policies for camera discovery) ... they'd have
a lot less to worry about.

> As for network-transparency, it should be. I am not familiar enough with
> CORBA though to make a definite statement either way though. If you drop
> me a separate email, i'd be happy to run through it with you.

I'd expect that if you don't know _today_ that it's network-transparent,
then it isn't ... designs focussed on library-style linkage accumulate
all sorts of assumptions about shared state and concurrency, even with
the best of intentions.  Those assumptions are good to get rid of (or at
least identify and document) even in library-style designs.

That said, I'm unlikely to have time to investigate this new library for
a while yet.  I couldn't find even a prototype on the gPhoto website; I
had to poke around quite a bit before I found out that there's now a
gphoto.sourceforge.net project, whose homepage is not www.gphoto.org ...

> > > Here is the licensing that gPhoto2 is currently under is:
> > > - the gPhoto2 core is LGPL
> > > - the gPhoto2 camera libraries are unspecified.
> > ... and I think you said there's to be a GPL'd front end.
> > Isn't that part of gphoto2?  Decoupling those would be a
> > pretty major redefinition of the project.
>
> Well, the front-end is already decoupled.

So it's a major redefinition, and anyone downloading "gPhoto" would
no longer be getting a user interface integrated with camera support.

This is confusing.  Have you thought about using a different name for
this "core" then, and letting "gPhoto" continue to be used to identify
a user interface bundled with a usefully large set of camera interface
code?  Users Would Be Surprised to see a rev 2 delete essential features.

Heck, the gPhoto roadmap on the website doesn't even mention anything
after 1.0, and it says the current development target is 0.6 ... no
wonder I'm scratching my head !!

- Dave