List:       gphoto-devel
Subject:    [gphoto-devel] Porting gphoto to Solaris 8
From:       Rick Otten <rotten () mjarr ! gozo ! ugate ! net>
Date:       2000-04-22 14:32:53

Hello gphoto developers,

  I have been trying to port gphoto to Solaris 8.
  I have successfully compiled and installed it.  The challenge of the moment
seems to be that the software hangs when it attempts to talk to my camera.

  I have a Nikon CoolPix600.

--
  Here are some of the things I did to get it working:

  I tried installing it with imlib2-0.0.3 first.
  That didn't work, so I backed out to imlib-1.9.7.

  Somewhere along the line I also had to install "freetype", which was not
  in your list of required packages - but it was required for imlib.
  (I can't recall whether it was required for imlib-1.9.7, imlib2, or ImageMagick.)

  All references in the code to <sys/dir.h> had to be changed to <dirent.h>.
  /directory/*.c, gallery.c, util.c

  "sys_errlist[errno]", referenced in util.c, was undefined.  I replaced it with
  string.

  "cfmakerow", in the kodak/dc21x files, is not a standard part of Solaris 8's
termios.  Since I was going to be using this with a Nikon I removed all references
to Kodak cameras from the various make files and from cameras.h.
  I'm sure there is a Solaris equivalent.  I just didn't want to spend a lot
of time screwing around with it.

  "FIONREAD", an ioctl call in konica/qmxx, is also not defined in Solaris.
  I suspect the Solaris equivalent is I_NREAD.  I tried it at a superficial level
(I swapped them directly).  It didn't work on the first try, so I removed Konica
from the list of supported cameras.

  Lastly "nanosleep", in the photopc directory, was not being found by the
linker.  It looks to me like it is in the libproc library on Solaris 8.
  I tried linking that library in, the linker still complained.
  I removed the "-D HAVENANOSLEEP" from the CFLAGS, and recompiled and it worked.

  At this point everything compiled cleanly.

--

  This project has sucked up much more time than I intended, but its been sort
of fun.  I am trying to get rid of all dependency on W98. If I can, it will be

  I just need to figure out why the software hangs when I attemp to talk with the
camera.
  Any ideas?

--
Rick Otten