List:       gphoto-devel
Subject:    [gphoto-devel] Adding a new driver
From:       Johannes Erdfelt jerdfelt () sventech ! com
Date:       2000-02-18 18:12:02

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000, Nick Ambrose <nicka87@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I am trying to add a driver for the Panasonic 2090/2590. I noticed a few things.
> First, I am still working off the 0.42 src, as for some reason the Gnome CVS server
> wouldn't let me log in.

Some of the gnome cvs servers (it's actually a round robin DNS) have
issues from time to time. Trying again (sometimes a couple of times)
usually fixes it for me.

> 1.    I had to make an inordinate number of changes to makefile.in's and the like
> to add the driver. I lost count eventually (since I cannabilized the canon driver,
> i basically did a search and replace for canon)

gphoto uses automake, look at the Makefile.am file to make your life
infinitely easier.

> 2.    I was surprised to find that I had to go in and hack the main source to add
> my camera to the camera array, this seems to remove a large part of the convenience
> of having the drivers - I would have thought we would just have walked the drivers
> directory to build up a list of drivers)

I think the idea in the future is to dlopen() drivers to make things
like this easier.

> 3.    It seems (with the 0.42 makefiles anyway) that there is no way to get a debug
> build (i.e. we always seem to build -g -O2) - is there a way I can get rid of the
> O2 without having to hack the makefiles ??

Is there any particular reason you want to remove the -O2?

A quick workaround would be to probably specify CFLAGS on the make
command line:

make CFLAGS=-g

I'm not positive if that will work, but it should.

> I (Finally) have a skeleton driver up and in the list of available drivers (despite
> my whining it only took an hour or so) and hope to start diving into the
> implementation next week ;)

I highly suggest getting the devel 0.5 tree since it has the gpio
library which should make developing a new driver significantly easier.

JE