List:       gphoto-devel
Subject:    [GNU Photo devel] Re: GPhoto to do list
From:       Scott. scottf () scs ! unr ! edu
Date:       1999-05-27 2:36:22

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Gary Ross wrote:

> Can I ask why we want separate libraries anyway? I personally
> don't have a problem with getting and building all of the
> camera libraries.

the way that is planned right now is after the next release, convert the
libs to dynamic loading. this would require practically no changes, and
the addition of only 1 function to the libs (to return the cameras that
the lib supports)

it would simplify the build process (only compile the libs you need) and
won't get stuck if a lib isn't compiling.

also, it would allow for library updates without recompiling the entire
app. download the lib you need, compile and install. that way, there can
be bug-fixes released for the individual cameras between core-application
releases.

this also promotes other people to write front-ends to the cameras (pure
command-line, qt, motif, GNOME, etc).

i just think it would simplify a lot, and make the entire gPhoto project
more flexible.

-=Scott