List:       gphoto
Subject:    [gphoto] New camera driver and new frontend for gphoto2
From:       Scott Fritzinger <scottf () unr ! edu>
Date:       2000-12-14 21:31:36

I have just committed a new camera driver for the Scan e-photo written
by Adam Harrison <adam@antispin.org>. It is in the gphoto2 CVS tree.
This camera supports any camera that uses the Vision ST0680 chip. This
looks to be Vision's new chip (supports serial & USB) and there is a
good chance we will be seeing lots of intro-level digicams using it.
Many thanks to Adam for all his work!

Also, we have another frontend for gphoto2: a KDE IO slave. This
frontend lets you access your digital camera from any KDE application
(file open dialog path of "gphoto:/"), and from Konquerer.

With this frontend, we now are officially supported natively on both
major desktops. Users can now access their digital cameras regardless of
which of the 2 they are using (!!!). No need to install the others' GUI
toolkits anymore.

Here are the known production frontends:
	- the GNOME vfs module lets you browse your camera from Nautilus
	  and other gnome-vfs aware applications. It is available in the
	  GnoCam source (Lutz is the main contributor there) which is in
	  the gphoto CVS under module 'gnocam'.

	- the kio_slave driver for KDE lets you browse your camera from
	  Konqueror, or from any "File open" dialog. It is available
	  from:
		http://www.thekompany.com/projects/gphoto

	- GnoCam, written by Lutz, is very much leading the pack of
	  stand-alone frontends. If you haven't tried it yet, you're
	  missing out on quite a bit of innovation of presentation and
	  ease-of-use. It is available in the gPhoto CVS under module
   	  'gnocam'.

	- GtKam, written by me, is a very basic GTK application for
	  downloading from the camera. It does all the basic stuff if
	  all you want is to download/delete pictures and configure the
  	  camera. It is a reference implementation for gPhoto2. It is
	  under gPhoto CVS in module 'gtkam'.

	- the 'gphoto2' command-line interface is a powerful interface
	  that lets you perform use all functionality (minus camera
	  configuration) that gphoto2 provides. I started this interface
	  and Marius jumped in to make it extremely powerful (ranges,
	  abstracting actions, etc...) for batch operations.

	- Bart's OS/2 frontend, status unknown. Bart has been a busy
	  fella' :)

	- ??? please let me know if i missed any so far.

Other interface that might be interesting to write:
	- curses, without viewing the images (just download/delete).
	  possibly use svgalib to view?
	- PHP (wrong, very wrong, but would be very cool!)
	- GIMP plug-in (!!!!!) (perhaps a quick tweak of GtKam?)
	- BeOS (of course, the port has to be started first ;)
	- others?

This is fantastic news across the board! Thanks to everyone!