List:       gphoto
Subject:    Re: [gphoto] NDA problem (driver for new Casio cameras)
From:       Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym () canada ! com>
Date:       2000-06-16 21:10:15

>>>>> "h" == hammer  <hammer@inti.be> writes:

    h> -- I wouldn't buy *any* (digital) camera ever again with
    h> Win$-only drivers, or without alternative (e.g. Linux useable)
    h> drivers.

Oh ye of little faith! ;)

Well, I have bought two cameras, both of which I knew had no Linux
drivers.  My price point for cameras is $100 and so far I have had
a Polariod 320 and now an AGFA Smile; I wanted a Casio QC-10 but
no one in Canada is allowed to sell them.

So why did I buy an unsupported camera?  Because I learned from the
Connetix QCam Incident that Linux support is only a matter of time. Of
course, if and when there are any other compact sub-$100 320x240
cameras which _are_ supported, I will dump my AGFA on the kids and
move on.

I told both camera companies "You might as well co-operate now while
you can still sell a few more cameras; if you wait until it is obsolete,
we will still get our drivers, but you won't sell any to our friends"
Of course, neither company was moved by my statement.

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@linux.ca>: office voice/fax: 01 519 4222723
T(C)Inc Business Innovations through Open Source http://www.teledyn.com