List:       gphoto
Subject:    Re: [gphoto] gphoto2 device permissions problem
From:       Rob Hillis <rob () hillis ! dyndns ! org>
Date:       2001-12-22 2:37:47

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:00, Roger Davis wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to use gPhoto 2.0 with a Canon G2 connected to the
> USB port of my Dell Inspiron 7500 running RedHat 7.2.
> When I run gphoto2 as a non-root user I get  the following error:

[...]

> When I run the same command as root things work OK and I see

[...]

> I have also successfully downloaded images from the camera as root.

This is not a problem with GPhoto2 - the default permissions for new USB
devices are to be writable to root *only*.

> How can I get this to work as a non-root user? I tried doing
> 	# chmod o+rw /dev/usb/*
> but that made no difference. What device needs to have permission for
> non-root users enabled?

The "files" in question are located in /proc/bus/usb/001.  The *simplest* way
to change permissions on the device file in question is as follows... (please
be logged on as root)

cd /etc/hotplug
gphoto2 --print-usb-usermap >>usb.usermap
mkdir usb
cd usb
echo chmod a+w $DEVICE > usbcam
chmod 700 usbcam

Next time you plug your camera in, it should be world writable by default.
There are other solutions of couse - create a group called "digicam" (or
similar) and instead of "echo chmod a+w $DEVICE > usbcam" try "echo chgrp
digicam $DEVICE > usbcam" and then join all users who need digital camera
access to that group.