List:       gpgtools-users
Subject:    Re: [gpgtools-users] Problem with gpg-agent (pinentry-mac ? ) since
From:       Charly Avital <shavital () mac ! com>
Date:       2011-12-30 16:35:47

hautboy <4EF99970.9050808@50mail.com> December 30, 2011 11:12:34 AM wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have GPG Keychain Access 1.0b6 -- without having installed the whole
> suite of tools from GPGtools.org.

You don't need to install all the suite.

> If ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf exists, it is edited to point to pinentry-mac
> (within GPG Keychain Access.app)

I'm not sure what you mean by "(within GPG Keychain Access.app)".
In my system, I have this option activated in ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf:
pinentry-program
/usr/local/MacGPG2/libexec/pinentry-mac.app/Contents/MacOS/pinentry-mac

(please read on)
> Problem is, after I login to my user account, and when
> ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf with the pinentry-program entry exists, I get an
> error message to the effect of 'Problem with the agent'. I have to start
> a new agent.
>
> An agent is already running at login time, started by keychain tool from
> funtoo.org
>
> A couple of days ago, I removed ~/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent which was a broken
> symlink but what works for the time being is to get gpg-agent.conf out
> of the way.
>
> Can you shed some light ?
>
> gpg (1.4.11), gpg-agent, keychain come from MacPorts.
> This is on OS 10.6.8

Disclaimer :-)  -  I am not a power user, neither a programmer, just an
end user (from 1994).

I believe that using gpg-agent with gpg 1.4.11 ("gpg1" as opposed to
"gpg2") is a kludge ("a software or hardware configuration that, while
inelegant, inefficient, clumsy, or patched together, succeeds in solving
a specific problem").

Personally I am not very confident in MacPorts, with all due respect and
consideration to their great job.

To the case in point, I believe that you would be better off using
MacGPG2, that will install everything that is required to have a working
crypto system based upon MacGPG2, on an Intel based Mac.
The current available stable software is provided by the
MacGPG2-2.0.17-9 <http://www.gpgtools.org/macgpg2/index.html>, written
by Benjamin Donnachie.

If you decide to give it a try, my advice is to download the installer,
quit all running applications, run the installer, and restart the computer.

Have a fine week end,
Charly