List:       gpg4win-users-en
Subject:    Re: [Gpg4win-users-en] powershell output redirection may spoil --armor (Re: --export incompatible wi
From:       Ingo =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2024-04-03 20:42:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Mittwoch, 3. April 2024 18:09:35 CEST Bernhard Reiter via Gpg4win-users-en
wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 03 April 2024 10:05:25 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> > I suspect that this is a "feature" of the output redirection in
> > PowerShell.
>
> Yes, I can reproduce the problem using a powershell and commend redirection.
>
> Ingo: is it worth an issue to report to support different text encodings for
> gpg imput as well?
> At least it is a usability problem if you open something in the editor
> and it looks fine, but gpg does not eat it. On the other hand, gpg is
> more an expert tool, so it maybe acceptable. And --output exists.

I don't know. I think it's very surprising that
`gpg --armor --export | gpg --import`
doesn't work in PowerShell.

On the other hand, seeing something like https://superuser.com/q/961697
PowerShell users should be used to pain when redirecting output.

And looking at RFC4880 I think one can safely argue that ASCII armor must be
UTF-8 encoded.

Regards,
Ingo