List:       gpg4win-users-en
Subject:    Re: [Gpg4win-users-en] Certifying an imported public key
From:       Bernhard Reiter <bernhard () intevation ! de>
Date:       2024-02-01 16:09:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Donnerstag 01 Februar 2024 16:48:13 schrieb David Koch via
Gpg4win-users-en:
> I have never been able to certify an imported public key. The ones I
> want to certify belong to close relatives. I always receive this error
> message: "Invalid digest algorithm".

chances are good that you are trying to certify an OpenPGP pubkey that
uses a weak digest algorithm, see
https://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/GPG-Esoteric-Options.html#index-allow_002dweak_002ddigest_002dalgos

How old are the pubkeys of your relatives?
If it turns out to be they are very old, maybe you can suggest to them to
create new ones?

> What can I do to certify an imported public key?

You could use the command line and the mentioned esoteric option from
above. :)

(Using the command line to find out more is a typical step for technical
diagnosis.)

Best Regards
Bernhard

--
https://intevation.de/~bernhard    +49 541 33 508 3-3
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter