List:       gpg4win-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gpg4win-devel] Idea for making logging easier
From:       Werner Koch <wk () gnupg ! org>
Date:       2022-07-22 17:55:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 07:54, Christoph Klassen said:

> My idea is a log manager which could be opened from Kleopatra. It

We used to have a frontend to watchgnupg (kwatchgnupg).  However, it
does not work on Windows.  watchgnupg is a simple application and very
useful on Unix.  An easy way to allow logging also on Windows would be
to use tcp://127.0.0.42 as log socket and tweak watchgnupg to allow for
TCP logging also on Windows.  The advantage over simple log files is
that you get everything as one log stream.  Actually this is how I do
all my debugging even on Windows (log-file tcp://my-v4-adress:myport).

For logging the keywords are way better that the log levels and a wrong
keyword does not do any harm.  All tools can be called with --debug help
stop the keywords so it would be easy for a Qt application to build a
dialog.  It is however important to have a visual feedback if TCP
logging is enabled because a non-running "watchgnupg --tcp" would lead
to long timeouts.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service.             - A. Einstein