List:       gpfsug-discuss
Subject:    [gpfsug-discuss] GPFS diskless/stateless clients (was: Re: gpfs client and turning off swap)
From:       Ryan Novosielski <novosirj () rutgers ! edu>
Date:       2019-11-08 16:49:21

We run stateless machines today with CentOS 7.x and have run GPFS 4.1.0.8, 4.2.3.x, \
and 5.0.x. We don't use swap either in most cases, and have never needed to do \
anything special for that. We've generally needed to rig ExecStartPre stuff in \
systemd in order to make sure that the machines could restore their cluster \
membership.

If anyone else can share how they do that, it might be interesting information. In \
our case, this works (our provisioning system writes these variables as the actual \
host names) — we used to put this in an override to gpfs.service; I believe \
mmautoload.service is relatively new (either in 4.2.3.x to 5.0.x or 4.1.x to 4.2.x).

[root@test mmautoload.service.d]# pwd
/etc/systemd/system/mmautoload.service.d

[root@test mmautoload.service.d]# cat override.conf
[Unit]
Before=slurmd.service
After=sys-subsystem-net-devices-ib0.device

[Service]
ExecStartPre=/usr/lpp/mmfs/bin/mmsdrrestore -p $CLUSTERMGR -R /usr/bin/scp
ExecStartPre=/usr/lpp/mmfs/bin/mmauth genkey propagate -N $NODENAME

--
____
> > _// the State	 |         Ryan Novosielski - novosirj@rutgers.edu
> > \\ University | Sr. Technologist - 973/972.0922 (2x0922) ~*~ RBHS Campus
> > \\    of NJ	 | Office of Advanced Research Computing - MSB C630, Newark
     `'