List:       gobolinux-users
Subject:    [gobolinux-users] pkg-config problems on rootless
From:       "Martin Svensson" <martin.p.svensson () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-09-03 18:13:00

FixDirReferences may edit pkg-config files incorrectly on rootless
installations.
(FixDirReferences may edit *.pk files
from_string:"$goboPrefix/my_program/my_version" into:"/usr".)

Example:
If you install Pixman using rootless the pkg-config settings for
pixman will refer to /usr as the installation prefix.
(And hence "includedir" will refer to /usr/include etc)

I dont know any general good solution to this problem though.
Some Ideas listed below:

1) Ignore current behavior.
2) Simply let FixDirReferences print warning, or give some type of error.
3) Add a bunch of _stupid_ logic to FixDirReferences so it will auto
edit *.pk files in some magic manner.
4) Rewrite any *pk files ignoring the original.

a) Dont use "/usr" substitution on rootless installations.
b) Let FixDirReferences running rootless modify
"$goboPrefix/my_program/my_version" to
"$goboPrefix/my_program/current".
c) Build some /usr structure for rootless installs ($goboPrefix/usr or
some such).

I would be willing to make a patch and send it in for review.
(Assuming a modification to the current behavior is desired of course)

Martin