List:       gobolinux-users
Subject:    Re: [gobolinux-users] Problems while and after installing Gobo Linux
From:       Jonatan Liljedahl <lijon () kymatica ! com>
Date:       2007-02-27 17:36:32

Lucas C. Villa Real wrote:
> On 2/27/07, Heikki Pesonen <fossiili@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have experiencies, but a little only, to edit xorg.conf. If I change it by
>> giving values for the 19" LCD like 1280*1024 must I run sax2?
>
> I never used sax2 after modifying xorg.conf, so my guess is 'no'.
>
>> What about my nVIDIA 6200? In other distros I had to download the
>> proprietary driver from nVIDIA server and then change "nv" to "nvidia" in
>> xorg.conf. How is that in Gobo?
>
> You also need to download the proprietary driver. These are the
> instructions for installing the nvidia driver on GoboLinux 013. I hope
> to have a less burocratic procecure on 014:
>
> $ wget http://gobolinux.org/download/kernel/KernelPackage
> $ wget http://gobolinux.org/download/kernel/Linux--2.6.20-Gobo--kernel-i686.tar.bz2
> $ chmod +x KernelPackage
> $ ./KernelPackage --install Linux--2.6.20-Gobo--kernel-i686.tar.bz2
> $ cd /Files/Compile/Sources/linux-2.6.20
> $ make -i
>
> Just ignore the errors it will output, they are expected. Now download
> and install the Nvidia driver:
>
> $ cd -
> $ wget http://gobolinux.org/download/scripts/InstallNvidia
> $ wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9746/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run
> $ chmod +x InstallNvidia
> $ ./InstallNvidia NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run
>
> Finally, edit /System/Settings/X11/xorg.conf and replace 'Driver "nv"'
> by 'Driver "nvidia"'.

A note on this, when I did this I got this error message when the nvidia
module was compiling:

FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nvidia.ko uses GPL-only symbol
'paravirt_ops'. ... nvidia.ko failed to build!

The fix for this is to first do 'make menuconfig' in the kernel source
directory (/Files/Compile/Sources/linux-2.6.20) disable the
"Paravirtualization support", save and exit the config and do a 'make
prepare'.

Apparently the paravirtualization symbol is marked GPL-only, and as long
as that symbol is in the kernel, any non-GPL modules won't compile.

NOTE: It doesn't matter that the actual installed kernel has paravirt
enabled, as long as the current config in the kernel source dir says
it's disabled...

--
/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-