List:       gobolinux-users
Subject:    [gobolinux-users] Compiling Glibc 2.5
From:       giddie () christian ! net (Paul Dann)
Date:       2006-10-31 17:22:04

Hi there,

  I have only just signed up to this mailing list so I do apologise if I
break any standing posting conventions... :)

  I recently downloaded RC3 to set up what I hope to be a Samba server /
general-purpose Linux box at home.  I went for the minimal option at
installation but later discovered that it worked better if GnuPG was
also added because the scripts occasionally actually refused to install
packages (notably GnuPG itself, which leads to a chicken-and-egg
situation!).  Anyway, after struggling with Samba I read that there's a
bug in Glibc 2.4 leading to an incompatibility, so I decided to compile
Glibc 2.5.  The 2.4 recipe seems to start fine for 2.5, but there are
some nasty problems toward the end of the compile (segfaults and
suchlike).  I'm no Linux expert, but I'm pretty sure the library
symlinks are OK.  There seems to be something to do with the default
Settings as they're being installed.  Ldconfig can't find ld.so.cache or
ld.so.conf as the new program is being installed.  Also, LD_LIBRARY_PATH
gains a colon (ie "/System/Links/Libraries:") after Compile bails out.
Not being very knowledgeable myself, I don't know what affect this will
have (I just read that someone else noticed this).  Generally,
re-symlinking the old Glibc from the live CD fixes any system problems.
The problem is the same on every install on my system, so I'm hoping
someone else might have found a solution by now?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer,
Paul