List:       gobolinux-users
Subject:    [gobolinux-users] Virtual Magnifying Glass
From:       nereusren () gmail ! com (Andy Feldman)
Date:       2006-06-21 5:06:46

Felipe, thanks for improving the install process. As a plain old user
of GoboLinux I appreciate the effort you made to get it to work well
with our system! I tried out the magnifier and it looks good.

To the gobo side: I made a Manifest recipe for the precompiled binary
of the Magnifier, but it gave me permissions errors when I tried to
install it. (Compile 1.5.0.) I've noticed other recipes have functions
like pre_install that seems to assume root/gobo privileges and often
fail for me, so I'm wondering if it's a problem on my end. I don't run
Compile as gobo.

--- The relevant part of the recipe:
is_manifest=yes
manifest=(
"magnifier:bin"
"README-EN.pdf:doc"
)

--- And the output:
PrepareProgram: /Programs/VirtualMagnifyingGlass/3.2.1 already exists.
[r]emove, [k]eep, [C]ancel?
/Files/Compile/Sources/magnifier-linux-3.2.1
cp: cannot create regular file
`/Programs/VirtualMagnifyingGlass/3.2.1/bin/magnifier': Permission
denied
cp: cannot create regular file
`/Programs/VirtualMagnifyingGlass/3.2.1/doc/README-EN.pdf': Permission
denied

Nevertheless, I attached a recipe which will just manifest-install the
precompiled binary if I run it as root.

I also tried making a recipe based on the source code. I discovered a
possible bug with either MakeRecipe or als (from the "atool" package,
for listing files in an archive). Basically, als doesn't seem to obey
-q with .zip files for some reason, which means it outputs a ton of
metadata (date etc.) that confuses the heck out of MakeRecipe when
it's searching for the Makefile.

After I manually completed the recipe, I remembered that it requires
Lazarus/free pascal and decided to call it a night :). If anyone feels
like making recipes for the specified versions of that compiler, there
should probably be a real source recipe of the Magnifier in the store
rather than just my manifest-install of the binaries. I did attach my
recipe (as MagnifierRecipe) in case anyone wants to continue down that
road without dealing with the MakeRecipe issue, although it's not hard
to just finish the Recipe by hand.

Also, I copied this to the gobolinux-recipes list where it probably belongs.

-Andy