List:       gobolinux-recipes
Subject:    Re: [Gobolinux-recipes] CoreUtils 8.4 - GMP 3.x and 5.x issue
From:       Jonas Karlsson <cj.karlsson () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-03-18 18:53:29

On 18 March 2010 19:00, Ősi Róbert <7szunyu@nordtelekom.hu> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:00:05 +1300
> gobolinux-recipes-request@lists.gobolinux.org wrote:
>
>> In your comment, are you implying that when both versions of GMP
>> available coreutils will build against 3.x?
> No. It's 'configure' script of CoreUtils 8.4's (hmm) mistake.
> Configure stops, when it does not find libgmp.so.3, so GMP 3.x.x
> must present, when 'configure' runs, but the build/install really will link
> against GMP 5.x.x (libgmp.so.10). Here's ldd's output:
> [#]ldd /Programs/CoreUtils/8.4/bin/expr
>     linux-gate.so.1
>     /Programs/Firefox/3.5.7_hun/lib/mozilla/browser/libmozjs.so
> ***  libgmp.so.10 => /System/Links/Libraries/libgmp.so.10  ***
>     libc.so.6 => /System/Links/Libraries/libc.so.6
>     .
>     .
>     .
> I cannot find out any clever or elegant way to eliminate this problem
> (forgive me, I'm not programmer :), but the way I put down in the recipe's
> comment. So it works when both 5.x and 3.x of GMP are installed.
> 1. At first GMP 3.x is active (SymLinkprogram GMP 3.x)
> 2. Compile -c --without-gmp CoreUtils 8.4
>   (configure does not stop, the whole install process works fine.)
> 3. Disable GMP 3.x and SymLink GMP 5.x (GMP 5. become 'active')
>   (The sources (and built binaries) of CoreUtils stay in
>   $compileSourcesDir)

Why disable GMP 3.x if it really links against GMP 5.X if both are active?

> 4. Compile CoreUtils 8.4
>   (configure does not stop, install goes fine, the binaries presented in
>   the source-tree needs not to rebuild, *but* libtool links against GMP
>   5.x at the SandboxInstall(?) phase).
> This whole ruckus is for trick 'configure'. As far as I remember, the
> problem is just around the test program, which one is in the configure
> script to test libgmp. I think expr builds correctly with both GMP 3.x and
> 5.x.
> Rude hack, I know. Maybe somebody can find a more elegant solution (or
> CoreUtils > 8.4 will have nicer configure :?) (Or I am really-really
> lame stupid ;)

Iff coreutils links against GMP 5.X if you also have GMP 3.X
symlinked, then keeping both installed while upgrading coreutils would
be the solution. When the new coreutils is installed one can remove
the old GMP (3.X).

--
/Jonas