List:       gobolinux-devel
Subject:    Re: [gobolinux-devel] parallel boot
From:       Hisham <hisham.hm () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-09-15 23:23:37

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Jonatan Liljedahl <lijon@kymatica.com> wrote:
> All this time thinking about parallelizing bootscript, I had forgotten
> that BootScripts already has Fork and Wait functions for this. :) I
> never tried them, are they working? Is anyone using them?

I am. Here's the relevant section from my BootScripts:

function TestNetwork() {
   for i in `seq 10`
   do
      Network Start && return 0
      usleep 500000
   done
   return 1
}

Exec "Initializing network..."                Fork 'network' TestNetwork
Exec "Setting time..."                        Fork 'ntpdate' Wait
'network' ntpdate pool.ntp.org
Exec "VMWare modules and network setup..."    Fork 'vmware' Wait
'network' StartTask vmware &

I suppose the network hack is needed because of udev synchronization
issues, but I never bothered to look deeply into the issue.

-- Hisham