List:       gobolinux-devel
Subject:    Re: [gobolinux-devel] Boot sequence enhancement
From:       Jonatan Liljedahl <lijon () kymatica ! com>
Date:       2008-09-08 23:51:00

Jonatan Liljedahl wrote:
> Thomas Heller wrote:

>>> We can simply support both and others!
>>>
>>> Those interested only have to send the patches ;-)
>>
>> I first was thinking about making BootUp and Shutdown simpler ;)
>> I agree that the old sysv init is pretty ugly and very obscure ...
>>
>> perhaps someone should really look into initNG and/or upstart.
>> Why invent the wheel twice ;)
>
> Here's another one: http://einit.jyujin.de/

This one seems really simple and interresting:
http://www.fastboot.org/

If I understand it correctly, all that is needed is the serelc command.
This can then be used directly in the Task scripts, like

serelc --provide hald
serelc --need dbus
hald &

from the manpage:

--provide service

    Tell the daemon that the parent process is starting service
--unprovide service

    Tell the daemon that the parent process is stopping service
--need service

    Block until the daemon reports that service's providing process has
exited. The exit status of the providing process may also be relevant,
see --statuschange.
--statuschange pid exitstatus

    Tell the daemon that process pid exited with status exitstatus.

    While --statuschange can be called from within a boot script,
generally a shell "trap" must be employed to guarantee that it is
called. This usage is cumbersome, and so --statuschange is generally
called by the boot scripts's parent process, commonly serel-wrap.
<<<

Problem is that it depends on old Glib 1.2 and the redland library, but
something like this should be easy to hack together, shouldn't it? :)

--
/Jonatan         [ http://kymatica.com ]