List:       gobolinux-devel
Subject:    [gobolinux-devel] UpdateSettings proposal
From:       theyranos () gmail ! com (Dan)
Date:       2006-06-06 23:23:40

I have a long-term goal. I would like to make it so that, some time
in the future, I can press ctrl+alt+f4, log in to a framebuffer, type
'Freshen -U,' then go to lunch, happy in the knowledge that when I
get back, all those new versions I've been reading about on the -
recipes list will be on my system, running smoothly.

At the moment, this can't happen because the process for installing
individual packages is very highly interactive.

A while ago, I submitted a patch to UpdateSettings that added the --
quick option. I like the --quick option, but I think I can do better.

I'd like to add three things to UpdateSettings.
(1) An --auto option, that updates settings on your machine without
interacting with you at all. The implementation of --auto would be
aware of which version it was updating from, and try to merge the
changes you've made to your configuration with the changes that have
been made to the default configuration.

(2) UpdateSettings.conf, a non-mandatory configuration file that
describes how the --auto option should behave and gives users the
choice to change UpdateSettings's default behavior to --quick or --
auto if they so desire, and

(3) an implementation of the 'hints file' idea Hisham proposed in the
$sudo_exec thread.

In doing this, I'd make sure that without a hints file or
UpdateSettings.conf, UpdateSettings would behave exactly the way it
did before except for, the --help output, which would be a little
different. This little project would just be moving myself one step
closer to being able to start Freshen and then leave for the day.