List:       gnuradio-discuss
Subject:    Re: [USRP-users] [UHD] Announcing 4.0.0.0 Release Candidate 1
From:       Michael Dickens <michael.dickens () ettus ! com>
Date:       2020-08-26 12:38:28

Thanks for the UHD 4.0rc1 update, Michael. This UHD version will be the
most robust and compatible version yet!

For macOS users of UHD and GNU Radio, a brief update:

UHD 3.15 and UHD 4.0rc1 build and run on many macOS versions -- at
least 10.11 " El Capitan" through 10.15 "Catalina", and probably further
back with a modern enough compiler. I've built UHD 3.15 back to 10.8
"Mountain Lion", but unfortunately UHD applications do not execute ...
maybe others know what the issue is here? I have yet to try UHD 4.0rc1 on
these older macOS systems.

GNU Radio 3.7.14.0 and 3.8.2.0 -- with a patch to cover the commits since
this release was tagged on the "maint-3.8" branch -- also work with these
same macOS versions.

All of these projects / versions are available in MacPorts right now, via
the ports "uhd" (3.15), "uhd-devel" (4.0rc1), "gnuradio37" (3.7.14.0), and
"gnuradio" (3.8.2.0 + patches).

I have tested out GR 3.8.2.0 + UHD 4.0rc1 and they play nicely (enough)
together; I'm confident that the combinations GR 3.8.2.0 + UHD 3.15 and GR
3.7.14.0 + UHD 3.15 also work. MP allows GR 3.7.14.0 + UHD 4.0rc1, though I
don't know if this will even build.

I value any feedback on macOS building and/or use of UHD and GR (and Volk,
but that's pretty separate by now); MacPorts or some other install means;
any macOS version: 10.4-5 PPC 32/64, 10.4-16 Intel 32/64; even 10.16 ARM64
... if that's where you are (you're ahead of me then, though I'm catching

Cheers! - MLD
---
Michael Dickens
Ettus Research Technical Support