List:       gnuradio-discuss
Subject:    [Discuss-gnuradio] Socket PDU Handling in TCP Client Mode
From:       EJ Kreinar <ejkreinar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-01-25 17:12:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi all,

Quick question regarding the Socket PDU block... When I'm using the Socket
PDU in "TCP Client" mode, I see the following behavior on the maint-3.7
branch:

1) On startup, if a server is not already ready on the desired port, I
immediately see a "RuntimeError: Connection Refused" and the flowgraph
dies.
2) If a server is available, then disconnects, I see a "terminate called
after throwing an instance of boost::system::system_error'  what():  End of
file Aborted (core dumped)", and the flowgraph dies.

As far as I can tell, this is intended operation of the existing Socket PDU
block. Correct?

In an ideal world, my application needs to create a TCP Client that can
wait until the server is alive (dropping PDUs if there's no connection),
then acquire and reconnect to the server later. I dont have an option to
use something like ZMQ; I need to interact with a TCP socket server.

Seems to me like this would be a fairly common issue. Does anyone have any
ideas if there's a block, maybe in an OOT repo, that does this already? If
I make the corresponding changes to the in-tree Socket PDU, would this be a
feature that makes sense to upstream?

Thanks,
EJ