List:       gnuradio-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Burst Tagger block - What I'm I doing wrong?
From:       Tom Rondeau <tom () trondeau ! com>
Date:       2015-04-29 14:35:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Nicolas Cuervo Benavides <
cuervonicolas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Im trying to implement a system that should change it's normal functioning
> when another system with higher priority comes into play. For that, we have
> thought of two ways: changing the central frequency of our system of
> interest and/or stopping the sending process automaticaly.
>
> Im in charge of the latter, and for that I've found that maybe the "burst
> tagger" block could be of use. As far as I have understood, that block adds
> SOB and EOB tags to the element that I'm about to send, and those are then
> understood in the UHD as metadata. Afterwards (and may be here is where I
> get a little bit confused or have the misconception of its functionality),
> 'if the UHD receives an EOB tag, it turns of the transmitter until a new
> SOB comes'.  (I would also like to know if the part in between the single
> quotation marks is also right. I've checked the code for UHD sink and I
> still dont have this part 100% clear).
>
> Now, comes my main question and the reason why I think Im getting the
> concept wrong: I apply a signal (sinus) at the first port of the burst
> tagger and on the second I apply what would be my detection of the other
> system. In order to see if the tags come or not, I connect at the output of
> the block a "Tag debug", where I do can see that it is a 'False' tag when
> the trigger is <=0 and 'true' when it is >0. However, I still see the
> signal being sent through the USRP.
>
> I dont know if the sinus signal is not suitable for this test experiment,
> or if actually the burst tagger does not do what I understood. If someone
> has a clearifying opinion or remark I would really appreciate it. I've
> checked some previous questions here in feeder and the example explanation
> was implemented as I did. Any comment will be highy welcomed.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nicolas

I think the issue is related to the fact that the gr-uhd and that
burst_tagger weren't designed together. In fact, the burst tagger block
came before the UHD blocks handled tags and there wasn't any coordination.

First, place a tag_debug block in the flowgraph after the burst_tagger.
That will make sure that the burst_tagger is actually properly tagging
bursts.

But the main problem is that the burst_tagger produces tags with the key
"burst" and the value true or false. You'll need to edit this block to
change it to using "tx_sob" for the start of burst and "tx_eob" for the
end. That should get you closer to what you want.

Tom