List:       gnuradio-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RFX900 Failure
From:       Matt Ettus <matt () ettus ! com>
Date:       2010-02-26 19:45:42

On 02/26/2010 10:05 AM, David Evans wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the fast response. Yes the SAW filter is broken and putting a
> capacitor in as you suggested has brought the output power back up to
> normal. :-)

Great!  If you can survive without the filtering, you're actually better
off now because you'll have 1.5 to 2 dB less loss.

> So, a couple of questions please,
>
> * Can the SAW be damaged by too much power from the PA? (I could
> find no info on the maximum power limits for this device, just the
> bandwidth and attenuation).

It can be.  I had been told by Sawtek that the part was supposed to be
good to half a watt.  While the RFX900 won't put out that much power,
some of them will come within 1-2 dB of that.  The longer you operate
near any parts maximums, the shorter its life will be.  This is only the
second time in many many boards and over 4 years that we've seen this
problem, so you just might be on the unlucky tail of the distribution.

> * Can the SAW be damaged by a mismatched load (i.e no load!). I've
> asked around about this and get differing opinions
> o Yes, because the reflected power will be additively doubled,
> and enhanced due to the high Q of the filter

Not enhanced by the Q, but a high SWR can result in higher peak voltage
which can stress a device.

> o No, because the filter is a passive device, and the power
> will just pass through.

Each time the power passes through it is subject to insertion loss which
is dissipated, so reflected power will add a little to the dissipation
if you have a really bad reflection.

> * Also, apparently, SAW filters can easily be damaged due to
> physical shock, damaging the piezo electric material, so maybe
> this was just a one-off. I'll have to replace the chip anyway

My best guess is that this is due to sustained high power over a long
period heating and aging the device.

Matt