List:       gnuradio-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 firmware + cross compiled GNU Radio question
From:       Philip Balister <philip () balister ! org>
Date:       2009-11-29 13:08:11

On 11/29/2009 07:52 AM, Tim Newman wrote:

> alfayez@aol.com wrote:
>> Hi, I've been working on cross compiling the latest stable GNU Radio
>> release, 3.2.1, onto the TI Davinci DM6446 board using OpenEmbedded as
>> my build environment and Angstrom as my Linux Distro. I've managed to
>> cross compile and download gnuradio onto the board, though I'm going
>> with a console only Linux image so I don't have any of the gnuradio
>> python GUI stuff. Anyways, I am using a USRP2 and the board I'm using
>> doesn't have has 100T ethernet and not 1000T, so I'm using a
>> 1000/100/10T DLink switch to do the translation.
> First, maybe it was a mistype but the latest version of gnuradio is
> 3.2.2 not 3.2.1. Next, if you just want to test transmit, use
> usrp2_siggen.py.

The slacker that supports GNURadio in OE hasn't added a recipe for
3.2.2. Wait, that's me! Still for this discussion 3.2.1 is fine.

Most of my time is spent on the git recipe in OE. If you comment out the
DEFAULT_PREFERENCE line in that recipe, you will get or more recent
build. I haven't built it on an ARM9 recently, there may be some issues
with atomic operation support in boost.

> The USRP2 won't work unless you are using a GigE network card on the host.
> Matt has put together a new ethernet MAC here:
> http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/NewEthMAC
>
> I don't think this supports 10/100, maybe I'm wrong, but it may be worth
> trying.

My understanding is the same as Tim's, you will need some form of GigE
interface. Unfortunately, the DM6446 does not support full HS USB host,
but it still might be possible to use a USRP1 with it. A quick read of
the docs suggests this might work.

Philip