List:       gnuradio-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Software GPS:: BPSK demodulation
From:       Krzysztof Kamieniecki <krys () kamieniecki ! com>
Date:       2003-12-08 23:22:22

Disclaimer: I don't have a Degree in Signal Processing, just a B.S. in Mathematics/Computer Science,
this is mearly what I have picked from slowly writing a Software GPS Receiver.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Short answer is
  C/A BPSK Demodulation is inherent in the down-mixing and correlator operation of the GP2015 and
GP2021.

Longer answer is

  The GPS signal is (Carrier * Spreading_Code * C/A_signal)

where
   Carrier is the 1575.42 Mhz carrier
   Spreading_Code is the 1.023Mhz BPSK Spreading Code
   C/A_Signal is the 50 bits / second BPSK Navigation Message

The GP2015, when used in conjuction with the GP2021, mixes down the Carrier to 1.405MHz, then
digitizes [(1.405Mhz Carrier) * Spreading_Code * C/A_signal] and sends that to the GP2021.

The GP2021 then does the final mixing down of the Carrier to Baseband.

At which point you have either (-1 * Spreading_Code * C/A_signal) or (+1 * Spreading_Code * C/A)

The correlator then "removes" the Spreading_Code and what your are left with is either (-1 * C/A) or
(+1 * C/A)

At which point you have to use the navigation message decoding algorithms to figure out if you have
(-1 * C/A) or (+1 * C/A) and decode C/A appropriately

P.S. Would it be possible for you to send me some of 2bit sampled signal?