List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: SVG viewer
From:       Hans-Bernhard Broeker <broeker () physik ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2000-11-20 13:21:54

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Levente NOVAK wrote:

> Have you tried Sketch, available at http://sketch.sourceforge.net/ ?

Yes. But for some reason, it currently refuses to work correctly. It
doen't read even it's own example files correctly, and I can't seem to
build/install the PyXML module it needs for reading SVG, either.

So far, I've tried the following SVG viewers:

*) CSIRO SVG toolkit (Java2, on Linux): almost unbearably slow, and
   doesn't display point symbols if they're implemented as defined
   symbols,  rather than expanded inline into a series of
   _move()/_vector() calls. Doesn't support rotated text yet.

*) Amaya-4.0: Displays only colored text, currently, and that incorrectly
   (black on colored background, rather than colored text on transparent
   background).

*) sketch: didn't compile, yet

*) Adobe SVG Viewer: worked, but I haven't kept trying it all through my
   modifications to the driver. Maybe I'll need a VMWare in my Linux box
   to make it available more easily.