List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: correction
From:       Ilya Zakharevich <ilya () math ! ohio-state ! edu>
Date:       2000-01-17 18:57:24

On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 12:28:40PM +0100, Hans-Bernhard Broeker wrote:
> > Keep in mind that you can include new files in the patch: just touch
> > the corresponding files in the "original" tree: diff and patch will
> > work out the rest.
>
> Or, even easier, use the '-P' switch of diff, to make it automatically
> pick up new files and act as if they were there, in the 'old' directory,
> without any effects to the original source tree.

This may sound easier, but keep in mind that in practice it is
significantly harder.  Remember how dirty are the opengl patches?

With my recipe all you need to do to get a clean patch is to run it through

  egrep -v "^(Binary|Only) "

With your recipe one needs to remove manually all the chunks for
autogenerated, backup files, test outputs, and other junk.

Ilya