List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Various
From:       Newhauser <Newhauser () hadron ! mgh ! harvard ! edu>
Date:       1999-02-11 1:48:58

Dick Crawford wrote:
>    More generally, we should be able to specify the information for
any
>    discrete plotting style from data within the file -- point shape,
size and
>    color; dot size and color.  The syntax might look something like
"plot ...
>    with points pt $3" or "...  with points pt ($3)" (to keep things
similar
>    to "using").

Yes!!!!!!  Right on!!!  And the contour line style(s) on the base of an
splot should be user selectable.

And it would be nice to have a flag to turn off the surface mesh lines
in either the x or y direction on an
splot.  This "waterfall" style plot is very useful but now requires one
to save the data in a different file for x-only, y-only, or full mesh.
I had asked David Denholm about this some years ago,  but I think the
hidden surface work was a higher priorty at that time.

Also, it would be nice to read matrix data from ascii files just like
from binary files, where the data grid values are read in as the first
row and first column.  This would also seem to be nicer because it is
more consistent.  (In my humble opinion).

Regards,

    Wayne Newhauser