List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: [gp3.6beta] 2-line key entry (\n or white line in PS terminal)?
From:       "Stefan A. Deutscher" <stefand () ibm ! net>
Date:       1998-07-01 22:52:13

> > > I'd guess this should be straight-forward to install.  Perhaps a
> > > syntax like
> > >      plot f(x) titleonly "Foobar"
> > > or a {sample|nosample} option would be useful -- there's no particular
> > > reason
> >
> > Right, that sounds more intuitive than 'phantom'. Dick, we all know that
> > if it is PostScript and it can be done you can do it. I know it is
> > feature freeze and all (hence my suggestion to add a blank line type,
> > which would not change the syntax), but I would not sue you if you'd,
> > uhm, well, you know? :-)
>
> I suspect it would not be terribly difficult to add a "titleonly" option;
> maybe I'll have some time later this week.  But it won't be in 3.7 :-)

Great news. So be it in 3.7a98pl421 :-)

> > open symbols (circle, box, diamond, pentagon etc.) _filled_ with 'white'
> > yet ? I thought you mentioned that at some point that you had added some
> > opaque symbols but I can't find them! I'd really love to see those or a
> > pointer to them, much more than many of the artistic symbols (like boxes
> > filled to three quarters etc.) which I don't think I would use in a
> > publication. I just tried point types 64 .. 69, and they don't have the
> > dot but the lines (when used with linespoints) still bleed through.
> > Then I tried 'plot "n"  using 1:2 with points 5, "" with points 64', and
> > it seems that the white (opaque?) symbol 64 simply is not filled with
> > white, since all one can see is the black box (symbol 5) in the plot,
> > but both in the key.
>
> Have you tried #70-75 ??

Yes. Just now (on pl338 still with the eps enhanced terminal) and I get
translucent symbols:

  70 +
  71 x
  72 *
  73 hollow box
  74 black filled box
  75 hollow circle

No clue why this is happening.

> > Along the same lines --- apart from my constant nagging about a default
> > to set the dash lenght --- could we look into the line styles again?
> > Right now there are many variations to the theme 'dash-dot-dash', groups
> > of dashes, groups of dots, with different spacings inbetween. Many of
> > these are difficult to distinguish when printed (and possibly scaled
> > down). Would it be possible to come up with more distinctive patterns,
> > like
> >
> >   - .. - .. -
> >   -- -- . -- -- .
> >   -- -- .. -- -- ..
> >
> > etc.?
>
> I guess my question here is:  Do we want to put this off until we introduce
> a general scheme for specifying linestyles (which would be very popular),
> We certainly could add something temporary (just to shut Stefan up :-) )
> like "set dashlength", but I think that would be a very poor solution in
> the long run -- IMHO it should be either an option on "set linestyle" or
> the appropriate "set terminal".  As a temporary fix, the latter is probably
> easier to install.

What ever you do, you have my blessing :-)

By the way, another one ... could the colours of the key _text_ be set
to black again (optionally perhaps)?  When using the colour postscript
terminal one can get great plots, and I am glad the key lines / points
are in the same colours as the data, but the key description, I'd rather
have in black like the rest of the figure labelling.

Any ideas or opinions?

  Cheers!  Stefan

Stefan A. Deutscher                       | (+33-(0)1)   voice      fax
Laboratoire des Collisions Atomiques et   | LCAM :  6915-7699  6915-7671
Mol\'{e}culaires (LCAM), B\^{a}timent 351 | home :  5624-0992  call first
Universit\'{e} de Paris-Sud               | email:  sad@utk.edu
91405 Orsay Cedex, France (Europe)        |         (forwarded to France)