List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: [gp3.6beta] 2-line key entry (\n or white line in PS terminal)?
From:       Paul Halsema <phalsema () harris ! com>
Date:       1998-07-01 22:55:35

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, crawford richard wrote:
> Stefan A. Deutscher <stefand@ibm.net> wrote:
 [snip]
> > Along the same lines --- apart from my constant nagging about a default
> > to set the dash lenght --- could we look into the line styles again?
> > Right now there are many variations to the theme 'dash-dot-dash', groups
> > of dashes, groups of dots, with different spacings inbetween. Many of
> > these are difficult to distinguish when printed (and possibly scaled
> > down). Would it be possible to come up with more distinctive patterns,
> > like
> >
> >   - .. - .. -
> >   -- -- . -- -- .
> >   -- -- .. -- -- ..

> I guess my question here is:  Do we want to put this off until we introduce
> a general scheme for specifying linestyles (which would be very popular),
> We certainly could add something temporary (just to shut Stefan up :-) )
> like "set dashlength", but I think that would be a very poor solution in
> the long run -- IMHO it should be either an option on "set linestyle" or
> the appropriate "set terminal".  As a temporary fix, the latter is probably
> easier to install.

I agree that such a scheme would be very popular.  I think the
temporary fix, to shut Stefan up :-) and make some of the rest of us
very happy, would be to change the default set of linetypes for the
postscript terminal.  Even after adding the more general capability, a
more useful default set should be provided.

   ---Paul,  phalsema@harris.com