List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: Update on the branch surgery
From:       Daniel J Sebald <daniel.sebald () ieee ! org>
Date:       2017-10-28 18:48:07

On 10/28/2017 12:51 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Hans-Bernhard Bröker <HBBroeker@t-online.de>:
>> That's really 3.6 beta340, one of a rather long series of releases called,
>> by their full name, "pre-3.6 beta {number}", or just "beta{number}" for
>> short.  These were maintained by Dave Denholm and Lars Hecking, in a
>> non-public CVS.   Some important milestones in that sequence even got their
>> own "patchlevel" sub-releases.
>>
>> [BTW, I finally dug through my collection of old HDs and found quite a
>> number of them as tarballs, e.g. betas 178, 213, 231, 340 and 347, and also
>> an apparently genuine 3.7.0].
>
> On the one hand, that 3.7.0 would be interesting - might help us tag the
> corresponding point in the repository.  On the other hand, I'm not getting
> a good feeling from Dan's reports on his attempts to disentangle that branch.
> We know it's corrupt - doesn't have the right tip state.
>
> I'd be just as happy to drop it at this point
>
> Sigh...you should probably sent us both copies of 3.7.0.
>
>> Number 340 in that series became the start of our CVS repository, as the
>> initial vendor branch import.  Betas 343,344,345,346 and 347 were imported
>> onto the vendor branch, then Lars stopped using his private repository, so
>> there was no further use of the vendor branch.
>
> Except it seems to have become confounded with the 3.7.x branch we have.

I've dug into the actual ./reconvert process a bit.  I'm bewildered by
some fundamental things regarding the CVS repository on

:pserver:anonymous@gnuplot.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gnuplot

I assume that this repository is the same that is used to get the CVS
copy used in the ./reconvert process

cvssync -c gnuplot.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gnuplot gnuplot
mv gnuplot gnuplot-cvs

Those are the same repository, correct?

OK, I've been comparing the gnuplot-git repository against "cvs update
-rGNUPLOT_3_7_0" and so on.  As I pointed out I've often gotten good
matches in terms of code mods, with the exception being all these RCSid
strings.

I see now how that "drd" is finding its way into the git repository.
The cvssync gets the repository in archival form to the local system
into gnuplot-cvs.  In there is the history for the ./alloc.c file, and
I'll extract the pertinent references to "drd":

1.2
log
@Fix segfault.
@
text
@d2 1
a2 1
static char *RCSid = "$Id: alloc.c,v 1.12 1998/03/22 22:31:16 drd Exp $";
@

1.1
log
@Initial revision
@
text
@d2 1
a2 1
static char *RCSid = "$Id: alloc.c,v 1.11 1997/04/10 02:32:39 drd Exp $";

1.1.1.2
log
@Import of beta 343.
@
text
@d2 1
a2 1
static char *RCSid = "$Id: alloc.c,v 1.12 1998/03/22 22:31:16 drd Exp $";

Now, when I get the ./alloc.c file remotely from the server with "cvs" I
get the following RCSid strings:

cvs update -r1.1 alloc.c
(yields)
static char *RCSid = "$Id: alloc.c,v 1.1 1998/04/15 19:16:27 lhecking
Exp $";

cvs update -r1.2 alloc.c
(yields)
static char *RCSid = "$Id: alloc.c,v 1.2 1999/03/23 12:21:51 lhecking
Exp $";

cvs update -r1.1.1.2 alloc.c
(yields)
static char *RCSid = "$Id: alloc.c,v 1.1.1.2 1998/04/15 19:21:56
lhecking Exp $";

Why are these strings not matching what is listed in the gnuplot-cvs files?

Perhaps this has something to do with this

# In order not to introduce noise into tree comparisons, you must
specify the
# argument 'finish' to do the part of the conversion that involves checking
# in the FAQ and patching out the RCS cookies
[snip]
#
# Also requires patch files COOKIEPATCH
#

Is there something about the file COOKIEPATCH possibly missing some
fixes needed for files tucked away in the Attic?

I agree these RCSid aren't that important, but it sure would be a nice
feeling to have a match between, say, "cvs update -rXYZ" and "git
checkout XYZ" from remote locations.

Dan