List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    AW: New spin of repository conversion
From:       Bastian_Märkisch <bmaerkisch () web ! de>
Date:       2017-10-23 18:04:59

> > > Can you be more specific about the time this happened, and in what
> > > way the git conversion fails to reflect the old history?
> > >

> > If you look at
> > http://gnuplot.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gnuplot/gnuplot/?hideattic=0
> > &pathr
> > ev=MAIN
> > there are a number of files marked "dead" deleted by Lars Hecking with
> > a commit comment "Moved to ..." Similarily for /NeXT/, /beos/, /win/,
> > /os2/.  I was wondering if the history of these files could be
> > prepended (again) to the history of the destination files. That is if
> > that is easy enough.  That part of the history was "lost"
> > some 18y ago ;)
>
> This probably didn't lose any history at all.  If these were moved back to
their
> original locations later, then both moves will be part of the gitspace
history.

It is "lost" because the moved files and the deletes were committed in
subsequent commits. So git cannot interpret that as a "move" operation.
That happened in a sequence committed by Lars Hecking on 1999-03-26 at
22:32:57 - 23:19:32 (11 commits labelled "Moved from <dirold>." or "Moved to
<dirnew>.").
Any chance of "merging" these commits?  (But the other issues are way more
important).

  Bastian