List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: Scoping of variables in block constructs
From:       Achim Gratz <Stromeko () nexgo ! de>
Date:       2017-10-10 16:34:26

Ethan A Merritt via gnuplot-beta writes:
>> Also, why is there no block "else if" or maybe even "elsif"?
>
> No particular reason.
> So far as I can see, all it would gain is to reduce the number of
> required curly brackets by one pair.
> Is there something more subtle I'm missing?

Maybe.  If the conditional expressions themselve need to be nested, you
will either end up with unwieldy formatting

if (…) {
else {
  if (…) {
  else {
   if (…) {
   else {
    if (…) {
    else {
      if (…) {
      else {
        if (…) {

or you'll need to explicitly repeat (and revert) the logical expression
from the former branches.

Regards,
Achim.