List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: set xtics <incr> has no effect with xtic(n)
From:       Hans-Bernhard_Bröker <HBBroeker () t-online ! de>
Date:       2009-02-21 18:05:32

Shigeharu TAKENO wrote:
> shige 02/20 2009
> ----------------
>
> In gnuplot-4.2 or after, I found that the command "set xtics
> <incr>" has no effect when "xticlabels(n)" is used.

Of course it doesn't.  You either let gnuplot generate the tics,
controlled by "set xtics" options, or you supply them all yourself,
either via the long-form

	set xtics (<x1>, <x2>, ...)

command, or via the xticlabels() option to *plot.  The latter makes a
label for every data point being plotted, just like it says it does.  If
you don't want so many of them, you'll have to give it fewer data points
to handle.  The "every" option to *plot may come in handy there.

>  set xtics 5
>  plot 'data' using 0:2 with lp
>
> This makes skipped labels at x=0,5,10,...

There's nothing "skipped" about those tics.  You get tics ever 5 units
of x axis, period.