List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: Gnuplot on Windows
From:       Reinier Heeres <reinier () heeres ! eu>
Date:       2008-11-11 16:17:01

Hi,

Petr Mikulik wrote:
>> When wgnuplot is closed manually, the pgnuplot program stays alive. It is
>> therefore very hard to detect whether the gnuplot instance has been killed (in
>> which case I want to respawn one). I've attached a patch to pgnuplot.c to fix
>> this issue: it will check whether the wgnuplot process is still alive when it
>> receives input. By writing an empty string from my python program twice (with
>> a small delay in between) I can detect that wgnuplot is closed. Perhaps it
>> would be even better to call select() on stdin, but I think this is usually
>> good enough.
>>

> There is a new pgnuplot replacement just available from cvs; we are
> discussing the proper name (pgnuplot? gnuplot?) -- you should have got a
> copy of this email. With this new pgnuplot you will have no such problems.

That's great! I think calling it pgnuplot will indeed be the best
option, since it would behave similar to the older version and require
no changes to software depending on that. Do I understand correctly that
this binary does not have a command input window next to stdin and stdout?

Btw, if the old pgnuplot is kept somewhere it still might be good to
apply my patch so that it terminates if wgnuplot is closed.

>> The second problem is that my programs spawns quite a few gnuplot instances,
>> and they become hard to distinguish. On linux the wxt terminal supports a
>> "title" option that allows to give the windows a title, e.g. set terminal wxt
>> title "test". It would be great to have this in the windows terminal too.
>>

> This feature is available in the development version 4.3.x since May.
> It seems it would be interesting if this gets ported into 4.2.

Ah, sorry, I did not know. I will give the 4.3 test binary a try then!
Also, backporting sounds reasonable if it's not too much work.

> Well, what about a portable way
> 	set termoption title "xxx"
> Is this feasible?

Sounds good!