List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: millisecond time format
From:       plotter () piments ! com
Date:       2008-02-23 18:19:55

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 19:12:09 +0100, Ethan A Merritt
<merritt@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Saturday 23 February 2008 09:58, plotter@piments.com wrote:
>> This does however raise another question in my mind. I am mainly using
>> gnuplot in an embedded context using softfloat. If all x coords are
>> treated as double (although not using the fractional part) this mean a
>> lot
>> of unnecessary float operations at every step of the plot process.
>>
>> Mightn't it be worthwhile my changing this locally to use integer on an
>> integer arch?
>
> On input, data values are stored in a variable of type "coordval",
> which is either float or double depending on the architecture and
> configuration options.   However when the data is used for plotting
> the program switches to using integer coordinates representing
> individual pixels to the precision of the current terminal.
>
> I doubt there is much room for switching to integers any earlier.

OK! So internal calculation is always float of some sort or another and
the original question of support for sub-second time resolution once again
becomes a "simple" question of defining an input specifier and parsing the
input data.

Thus all plotting and fitting and other functions would account for the
new precision.

Thanks for the explainations.

Peter.