List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: Meaning of samples and isosamples with pm3d hidden3d?
From:       Hans-Bernhard_Bröker <HBBroeker () t-online ! de>
Date:       2008-02-22 23:16:09

Ethan A Merritt wrote:

> So isosamples control the number of lines.
> For hidden surfaces, that's the end of the story so far as I know.

Not quite.  In hidden3d mode, the samples have to form a (topologically)
rectangular grid --- i.e. each isoline has the number of node specified
by the "opposite" isosamples settings:

    set isosamples n,m

yields n isolines of m points each, and m "cross" isolines of n points each.

>> I also would expect both arguments to set isosamples to be evaluated.

They are --- but be aware that when you give only one, you set *both*.
More in 'help isosamples'.