List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: pngcairo: suggestion for additional option
From:       Allin Cottrell <cottrell () wfu ! edu>
Date:       2007-12-31 5:14:51

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Ethan A Merritt wrote:

> Allin:
>
> I attach a revised version of your patch.
> The changes are:
> - Export pre-calculated values for TERM_XMIN etc taken from the axis
>   structures
> - Initialize term->tscale to 1.0 for all terminals that do not provide
>   an explicit value
> - Initialize term->tscale for SVG terminal
>
> Please give it a look-over.

This looks good to me.  It works fine for the various PNG plots
that I've checked.

> Also please help me figure out which other terminals need an
> explicit scale, and whether the exported variables need to be of
> type double rather than integer. For instance, I think "post
> eps" needs a scale factor of 20, but PostScript coordinates are
> not limited to integers.  A test plot gave
>         TERM_XMIN = 546
>         TERM_XMAX = 6990
>         TERM_YMIN = 280
>         TERM_YMAX = 4872
> and dividing back by 20 will give non-integral values.  I am also worried
> that to actually use these values we would also need to have the offset
> of the coordinate origin relative to the origin of the PostScript page.
> On the other hand, the necessary information is already in the output
> PostScript file, so perhaps it is not necessary to export it as a user
> variable inside gnuplot.  What do you think?

I see what you mean about PostScript.  I find that TERM_XMIN et al
agree with a readback from the mouse in gv, if I divide by 20
(that is, 2*PS_SC) and add the coordinates of the bottom left of
the bounding box -- that is, (50,50).  I also see that division by
the scale factor of 20 yields non-integral values, but I'd think
that for practical purposes having these measurements to the
nearest PostScript point would probably be sufficient.

As for the translation of the bounding box: yes, it's quite easily
readable from the PostScript file.  I'm not sure whether a user
would want/expect the measurements net or gross of the PostScript
translation; I think it might be enough to state somewhere that
they are net.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics