List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: Keybox too small for user defined location when using splot
From:       Daniel J Sebald <daniel.sebald () ieee ! org>
Date:       2007-02-14 7:24:47

m sutton wrote:
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel J Sebald"
> > <daniel.sebald@ieee.org> To: Subject: Re: Keybox too small for user
> > defined location when using splot Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:35:54
> > -0600
> >

> > Well, not exactly.  I updated the placement of key, but mainly in
> > "plot" mode, not "splot" mode.  (As discussed previously, unifying
> > the two versions of key and margin layout would be nice.)
> >

> Today was a snow day, so I was messing with Gnuplot today.  I was
> looking at combining splot mode and the 2D key stuff.  No real
> success.

Well you're willing to try, that's something.  Keep in mind there is a lot of work \
here if at some point we agree it is worth doing.  But the idea would be to have plot \
layout very similar in terms of keys and colorboxes.  (They should be treated \
similarly and we had in mind to allow multiple keys.)  At the center of the layout is \
the plotting area which can be either 2D or 3D.  Something like

  Screen (outermost)
  Plot Area (set by "size", can have multiple on screen)
  Gridded Area (where the drawn function is, i.e., the coordinate grid be it 2D or \
3D)

So, there are margins inside the plot area that determine the extent of the gridded \
area.  Key placement, colorbox placement will effect those margins. Etc.

I'll send a PNG file from a while ago to illustrate what graph3D.c currently does \
(top fig) and the more general idea (bot fig).  Don't think there was ever total \
agreement.  But, that's the idea.

So, right now in 3D if one zooms in far lines go to the edge of the screen.  But if \
ever a general ->crop() function comes about, cropping to the "gridded area" might be \
nice.  I don't know.

What to do if multiple plots but only one colorbox?  Turn one off for one of the \
plots?  Not sure.

Where to start?  I'd suggest taking the key layout code in graphics.c and creating a \
routine

  ComputeOrDrawKey(key, ptitl_cnt, &size, ...)

Something similar with colorboxes perhaps?  (That one may already be like that.)

  ComputeOrDrawColorbox(cbox, &size, ...)

and make the current code the same for testing.  That way, when computing margins it \
is a matter of simply calling the above routine.  Go from there.

This is a summer project, Mike.  Too much for a day or two.

Dan