List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: gnuplot, wxWidgets and distributions
From:       Timothée Lecomte <timothee.lecomte () ens ! fr>
Date:       2006-09-24 18:43:29

Ethan A Merritt wrote:
> I can point out that Redhat has been shipping a minimally-configured
> and stripped down gnuplot
> package for a long time.  The current Redhat gnuplot rpm does not even
> link against libgd, thus they fail to include support for any of the
> gd-based terminals.
>

>> I won't talk about other distributions, but the situation is probably
>> quite close to Fedora's.
>>

> Not really.  For one thing, the move is in general towards distributing
> as a single DVD image rather than multiple CD images.  And at least in
> the case of Mandriva, which is where I have the most familiarity, there
> is no such distinction between 'core' and 'extra'.
>

> (...)
> I find that in general the default packages and configuration on
> both RHEL and Fedora are not ideal for scientific lab use.  Both
> Suse and Mandriva are a better match out-of-the-box.  This comment
> is not intended as a slam against Redhat;  they have identified a
> target user community and designed their offerings accordingly.
> But labs like mine are apparently not in their target community,
> and the choices they make are often contrary to our needs.
>
> The truth is that we don't really know who exactly is the core user
> community for gnuplot. But at least among the developers it seems that
> scientific lab use predominates, and in my experience this means that
> Fedora core may not be as common as other linux distros.

I have not seen any Linux distributions in the labs I have worked in, at
least none maintained by the tech staff. A few people had Fedora (in
California) and some Mandriva (in France). I am using a source-based
distribution, so I don't have any of there problems...

Anyway, I asked Suse and Mandriva people about gnuplot and wxWidgets.

In Suse, gnuplot is installed by default, and although wxWidgets is
probably not installed by default, it's there and ready. We may hope
they will keep gnuplot installed by default and ship it with the
wxWidgets terminal (wxGTK is something like 10MB).

In Mandriva, gnuplot is installed by default when you choose a profile
like "scientific workstation". wxWidgets is in their main repository.
There doesn't seem to be any problem here.

I guess we (I?) should not worry then. At least Suse and Mandriva are
very likely to ship the full-featured package.

As far as Debian is concerned, I'll assume they may build a third
package with wxWidgets given Gaël's report. Debian users are probably
not to be worried about.

Thank you for pointing out this difference between distributions. I
picked Fedora quite randomly.

Best regards,

Timothée