List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: Resize behaviour for the wxt terminal
From:       Timothée Lecomte <timothee.lecomte () ens ! fr>
Date:       2006-09-16 9:33:43

Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> Timothée Lecomte wrote:
>> Dear gnuplot developpers,
>>
>> I just committed a small peace of code to fill in gray the empty
>> space left aside or below a plot when you resize the wxt terminal
>> window without keeping its aspect ratio constant. This was the
>> easiest way to make this behaviour a little more easy to understand
>> visually. I also modified the help text a little bit to reflect that.
>> I would like to know if it's ok for you now. I know that this
>> behaviour was one of the few complaints about the wxt terminal. I am
>> still reluctant to make it behave like the x11 terminal, since I
>> don't like it at all. Moreover, I'm convinced it's not a critical
>> point: at worse, after some time the user will realize he just has to
>> type 'replot' or, more easily, to click on the 'replot' icon to have
>> the plot be redrawn completely to fit in the window.
>
> Timothée, could you send or place a screen capture somewhere with this
> gray area?  Another thing you could do is force an aspect ratio on the
> window rather than display some area as a different color, i.e., an
> ability to resize by mouse, but not independently in both dimensions.
>
> I like the X11 behavior, but it isn't critical that other window
> platforms behave the same way.  Maybe an alternative from X11 is good
> at this point.
>
> Dan
Here are four captures of the wxt window :

http://tipote.free.fr/initial.png
    => initial window after 'plot x**2'

http://tipote.free.fr/decrease_y.png
    => I decrease the height of the window, the plot is downscaled and
keeps its aspect ratio, leaving a gray area on the right of the window

http://tipote.free.fr/increase_x_and_y.png
    => I increase both the width and the height of the window, the
height is increased more than the width. A gray area is left on the
bottom of the window.

http://tipote.free.fr/after_replot.png
    => I hit the 'replot' icon or type 'replot'. The plot is
regenerated, fills the whole window, and font sizes and linewidths take
their original value back.

Best regards,

Timothée