List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: default & double terminal options
From:       Hans-Bernhard_Bröker <broeker () physik ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2006-08-24 19:58:14

Ethan Merritt wrote:
>   When/why was there a change to the syntax "unset <foo> <baz>"?

Never, actually.

>   It is IMHO much uglier and harder to work with than
>   "set <foo> no<baz>".

The actual change was from 'set no<foo>' to 'unset foo', and that
incompatible change to the syntax was the primary reason we had to
increase the major version number for the release of the 3.8 development
strain, so it became number 4.0.

>   The latter makes it clear that you are toggling option <baz>.
>   Besides which, there is no verb "unset" in the English language.
>   The usual antonym of 'set' is either 'clear' or 'reset'.

... both of which had already been taken up for other commands, at the
time the idea of that change came up.