List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: gnuplot on FreeBSD
From:       Lars Hecking <lhecking () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2006-08-24 17:38:08

Dhiman Barman writes:
> The following is a summary of what one has to do to hack gnuplot4.1's prepare
> to work on FreeBSD; thanks to Dan Andersen who made it work:
>
> in the script 'prepare':
>
> change all instances of 'make' with gmake.  Freebsd has it's
> own BSDesque make program.  The makefiles in gnuplot use features
> unavailable in bsd make, so gnu make must be used.

 This is not strictly correct. The auto* generated Makefiles work well with
 *BSD make, as is intended. But the "prepare" related stuff in Makefile.am.in
 fails. OBSD's make actually errors out where FBSD's make fails silently:

Using $< in a non-suffix rule context is a GNUmake idiom (line 11 of Makefile.am.in)

 I will address this. Ultimately, it is probably best to get rid of the
 various Makefile.am.in.

> work around FreeBSD's choice of naming autoconf and
> automake binaries with version numbers.  You can either modify the
> prepare script directly, or create a ~/bin directory and create symlinks
> like ~/bin/aclocal -> /usr/local/bin/aclocal19

 FreeBSD should really switch to metaauto ...

 I will address this, too. I have a patch ready to go into cvs that uses

ACLCAL=${ACLOCAL:-aclocal}

 etc. so that one can use, e.g. on FreeBSD (sh syntax - use env in t/csh):

$ AUTOCONF=autoconf259 AUTOHEADER=autoheader259 AUTOMAKE=automake19 ACLOCAL=aclocal19 ./prepare

 Unless there are objections, of course.