List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: Interesting bug:     relative offset + log scale = problem
From:       Ethan Merritt <merritt () u ! washington ! edu>
Date:       2006-08-16 22:50:14

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 03:19 pm, Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:
> Ethan Merritt wrote:
> > Zero is zero.
>
> Not on a logarithmic axis it ain't.  On a logarithmic axis, offset
> zero is actually negative infinity.  If the user wanted an offset of
> _visually_ zero, then on a log axis the gnuplot way of saying so
> would be to specify an offset factor of 1.

I concede the point.

I will apply the minimal fix of initializing the default histogram
title structure to specify 0 character units for the offset.

If the user explicitly changes it to something else that breaks
in the presence of a log-scaled axis, that's their own headache.

> increments to logarithmic values are specified as values that
> have to be  logarithmized, following the way 'set xtics <incr>'
> behaves  ...

> The offsets of axis labels and titles should work the same way.

Probably.  But those are already correctly defaulting to character
units.  I'm trying very hard not to touch any of the core code at
this point.

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center