List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: postscript monochrome and specified color
From:       Timothée_Lecomte <timothee.lecomte () ens ! fr>
Date:       2006-08-03 16:41:49

Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> Ethan A Merritt wrote:
>

> > If you ask for default dashed lines via "set term post dashed"
> > that doesn't stop you from explicitly drawing a solid line.
> >
> > If you ask for a small default font via "set term post font 'Times' 4"
> > that doesn't stop you from explicitly writing labels in a larger font.
> >
> > If you ask for default thick lines via 'set term post lw 5'
> > that doesn't stop you from explicitly drawing a thin line.
> >
> > So if you ask for default black lines via 'set term post mono',
> > why should it stop you from explicitly drawing a blue line?
> >

> Because term property "monochrome" outranks other colors in the chess game of \
> display mediums, I don't know.  None of those other defaults are term properties.
That's where the ambiguity comes from.  As they are options to 'set
term', I would tend to agree with Daniel. If you ask the terminal to
output in monochrome, you expect everything to be in monochrome.

However, if the above options could be handled by the core, via a
command 'set default' for example, then Ethan's described behaviour
makes much more sense.

Ex : 'set default dashed font "Times,4" lw 5 mono' would not prevent
from override them in particular labels, lines, or whatever.

Implementing these options in the core seems reasonable, not that hard,
and would save a lot of code duplication in the terminals. One more
thing on my post-4.2 projects list.

Best regards,

Timothée